CALUMO Database Server¶
The database server can exist as a standalone server or it can be combined on the same machine as the web server. Where the SQL Server Analysis Services server and the web server are not to be located on the same logical machine, please refer to the section “Security Considerations” in CALUMO Web Server requirements documentation.
CALUMO allows users to publish their own reports to the server, as private reports as well as administrators publishing public reports. Each time a report is published to the server from Microsoft Excel, a copy of the workbook is stored in the CALUMO database. Over time, this history of spreadsheets can grow and grow.
It is hard to know how this data volume will grow because it is very dependent on the user base, but please be aware that it needs to be considered when provisioning your SQL Server.
You can also reference the Microsoft information on SQL Server starting at this page, http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/default.aspx
Microsoft Windows Server¶
CALUMO is supported on the following versions of Microsoft Windows Server at their latest released service pack level:
|Windows Server Versions|
CALUMO also supports being run in a fully virtualized and Cloud environments such as Microsoft Hyper-V and Windows Azure.
Microsoft SQL Server¶
Microsoft SQL Server is required by CALUMO for two purposes, firstly to host the relational database that CALUMO uses to store application configuration and information and secondly to host the Data Warehouse relational databases that Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services uses.
Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services is required by CALUMO to host the analytical cubes that users will access.
The following table details the versions supported by CALUMO:
|SQL Server||Version Number||Details|
|2008 R2||10.50.6020.0||SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 3+.
This version is scheduled for ‘end of life’ by Microsoft in July 2019 at which time it will no longer be supported by CALUMO
|2012||11.0.7001.0||SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 4+|
|2014||12.0.5000.0||SQL Server 2014 Service Pack 2+|
|2016||13.0.4001.0||SQL Server 2016 Service Pack 1|
|2017||14.0.1000.169||SQL Server 2017 RTM|
The following components are required to be installed, as a minimum, for CALUMO to operate successfully:
- SQL Database Server
- SQL Browser Server
- SQL Analysis Services
- SQL Server Management Studio
- SQL Server Data Tools
- Enterprise edition is strongly recommended
- Standard Edition is supported, but not recommended as it does not support the full range of SQL Server Analysis services like, perspectives, semi-additive measures; write back dimensions, linked measures and dimensions, pro-active caching and partitioned cubes. The following article from the Microsoft Site allows you to compare the differences between the various versions of Microsoft SQL Server http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/product-info/compare.aspx
- All components of Microsoft SQL Server must be updated to the same version number
- SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) must be installed. The version of SSMS installed must be capable of targeting the SQL Server version.
- SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) including the BIDS components must be installed. The version of SSDT installed must be capable of targeting the SQL Server version.
- There must be read access to Active Directory for the account that SQL Server Analysis Services runs under.